Posted on May 27, 2020
Dot a Picture!
💡Skill: Doing art projects builds the small muscles in their wrists, hands, and fingers.
Georges Seurat is a famous artist who made paintings by using dots (a technique called pointillism). Learn how to dot a picture of nature with your child!
☑ Paint or markers or crayons
☑ Cotton swab
Here’s how to explain this activity to your child:
- Let’s think about something from nature that we want to paint: a park, a beach, a flower, etc.
- Draw the outline of the picture on a piece of paper. Now, let’s pretend we are a famous artist and make the picture using a technique called pointillism — which means lots of little dots.
- Dip your cotton swab in the paint, and dot the inside of the outline you drew — cover the whole picture with dots of paint! You can also use markers or crayons to make the dots!
- What else can we paint?
Extend the Learning
Take a stroll through the museum and learn about moosterpieces with Moose and Zee!
Words to Use
- Outline – a drawing
- Artist – someone who creates a painting, a sculpture, etc.
- Pointillism- a painting technique with small dots